AmeriCorps Member - Volunteer & Community Coordinator - Homeless Services Program
Department: Chippewa Fresh Start
Location: Eau Claire
This is a full-time (1700-hours; 36 hours/week), position as an AmeriCorps member of Western Dairyland Homeless Services Program & Fresh Start which starts September 1, 2023 – August 31, 2024. This position primarily works 4 days a week (Monday-Thursday or Tuesday-Friday) from 7:30am-5pm with occasional nights and weekends. Volunteer and Community Partnership Coordinator AmeriCorps Members are responsible for developing and strengthening community partnerships for their AmeriCorps Program including identifying partnerships for potential service projects and service learning initiatives. This member will also provide service implementing the program’s volunteer program, enabling the program to better serve low-income young people and community residents. This includes developing appropriate materials, recruiting and managing volunteers, and training the site’s staff as appropriate so that the site can sustain the program after the member’s term of service is completed.
- Participate in the Eau Claire Continuum of Care (CoC) and PORCH meetings with program staff.
- Establish and maintain community partnerships to strengthen the Homeless Services/AmeriCorps Program
- Expand existing volunteer program for recruiting and managing volunteers for our Homeless and Housing First Program.
- Assist in developing volunteer program materials such as a policy and procedure manual; volunteer position descriptions; promotional fliers or brochures; and screening, training, and evaluation tools.
- Recruit volunteers. Outreach methods include: extensive networking; presentations to faith, business, and/or community groups; staffing information booths at community events; and utilizing the media.
- Along with program staff, screen volunteers as necessary; procedures might include interviews, reference checks, and criminal background checks.
- Develop and facilitate orientation and training for volunteers.
- Supervise non-AmeriCorps volunteers; develop and implement recognition activities for volunteers such as special events, awards, gifts, etc.
- Maintain accurate records of volunteer participation.
- Develop community partnerships to support the volunteer or service-learning program.
- Expand service learning opportunities and engage in program capacity building.
- Plan an annual Homeless Awareness event with area school districts and volunteers in October and November and assist with implementation.
- Plan an annual volunteer appreciation event to take place in November or December.
- Participate in the Point-in-Time (PIT) street counts in both January and July
- Participate in Western Dairyland Homeless Services/AmeriCorps training, service projects, and other activities.
Must have a high school diploma or GED, have a valid driver’s license, vehicle insurance, be able to commit to a full year of AmeriCorps Service beginning September 1, 2023 and ending August 31, 2024, be a US Citizen, US National, or lawful permanent resident of the US. Desired education level: College Graduate
SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Skilled at taking initiative, problem solving, and working independently to be able to develop and implement program volunteer program.
- Skilled at building interpersonal relationships, to work effectively as part of a team, and to manage volunteers.
- Strong verbal skills, to communicate effectively with staff, volunteers, and community groups.
- Skilled at written communication, to develop program materials and reports.
- Dependable and able to maintain positive attitude, to fulfill commitment to term of service.
- Committed to the concept of national service and to making a difference in the community.
- Basic computer literacy, to be able to produce program materials and track volunteer hours.
- Able to react to change productively and to handle other tasks as assigned.
Volunteer and Community Partnership Coordinator AmeriCorps members receive a stipend, paid bi-weekly, of $750.00. Upon successful completion of service, members receive an education award of $6,345. Other benefits include student loan deferment, professional training, valuable networking opportunities, working with a dedicated team of AmeriCorps members and staff, and the opportunity to make a real difference.
The Volunteer Coordinator and Community Partnership AmeriCorps member reports to Shayne Gerberding, Fresh Start Program Manager and Jeanne Semb, Housing Coordinator.
To apply submit resume to Shayne Gerberding, AmeriCorps Director via email: email@example.com or at WesternDairyland.org/americorps
Position will be opened until it is filled.
We consider applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. Reasonable accommodations are available on request.