Energy Assistance

What is WHEAP?

The Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program (WHEAP) provides eligible households with assistance for their home heating and energy costs. This program can offer a one-time per heating season (October 1 to May 15) benefit to help with fuel and electrical expenses and is generally paid directly to the fuel or electrical supplier.

A complete description of the program and income guidelines are on the Home Energy Plus website.

IMPORTANT - If you are in an emergency situation with no heat, please tell us immediately so we may assist you as soon as possible.

How Do I Apply for WHEAP?

Eau Claire County Residents

  • Option 1: Call 715-836-7511 or email to schedule a phone or a face-to-face appointment.

  • Option 2: Complete an energy assistance application (English - Español) print it out and fill in the required information. You may also request an application be mailed to you by calling 715-836-7511 or send an email to

    The completed application and required documents may be returned by mail or dropped off at the Western Dairyland office in downtown Eau Claire. Our mailing address is 418 Wisconsin Street, Eau Claire, WI 54703.

    Once your application is received, it will be processed within 30 days and you will receive a letter explaining your eligibility and benefit if applicable.

Other Counties

  • Apply for energy asistance at your county Health & Human Services office. Find your local office here.

What Should I Bring With Me?

To avoid unnecessary delays, applicants will need to provide Social Security numbers for all household members, a photo ID for yourself, and proof of income for ALL household members for the previous 3 months:

Application Month

Bring proof of income for


July, August, September


August, September, October


September, October, November


October, November, December


November, December, January


December, January, February


January, February, March


February, March, April

Seniors on fixed incomes may provide a copy of the Social Security award letter, or copy of a 1099 form.

If you have dividend interest income or self-employment income, you will need to provide your most refent tax documents.

If you pay or receive court-ordered child support, please provide verification of these payments.

For More Information

The following documents may also answer some of your questions about the eligibility requirements and the application process:

Applicant Checklist: English - Hmong - Español

Brochure: English - Hmong - Español

Application: English - Español

Western Dairyland Eau Claire Office

View Larger Map

Eau Claire County Residents
The Western Dairyland Community Action Agency is located at 418 Wisconsin Street in downtown Eau Claire.

Learn more about our events Need Help? Contact us today